Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Global Competence

Am I a global citizen? Part of me would have to say yes now that I have traveled to London and Paris but the other half of me feels like I am not since I have only traveled to Mexico besides those places. The experiences I had over the pond have made me much more globally aware and that countries do things much differently than America. I think that it is always good to get out and experience what the world has to offer. I believe that to be a global citizen you must be globally competent.  There are many things to consider to determine whether you are globally competent or not. There are certain skills, behaviors, attitudes, values, and concepts to think about. One of the big ones is being fluent is other languages. When we went to France there was a major language barrier for me while we were there. This just proved to me that I need to take the time to learn at least one other language.  My attitude has changed drastically since returning but in a good way. When I first left on this trip I knew none of the people I was traveling with and this forced me to have to engage with others and with that I have gained life long friends. My desire to new opportunities and ways of thinking and ideas has broaden as well. I feel like I can do anything now and there is nothing holding me back. So yes I would say that I am a global citizen but there are some things I need and can work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment